It is the first semester for MISDEV ‘14 (ISDEV Postgraduate by Mixed-Mode) students. It is a course requirement (SIW506 - Islamic Research Methodology) for each of the 35 students to prepare and submit their Research Proposal before the semester ends. However they need to present their proposals before submission of the first three chapters (Introduction, Literature Review and Research Methodology).
|Athirah (left) anxious to hear the comments from ISDEV lecturers. Seen here are three ISDEV lecturers, |
(from right to left) Dr Mohd Shukri, Dr. Mohd. Syakir and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Abdul Fatah.
According to the original arrangement, the presentation by all 35 students are to be divided into 3 sessions consisting of 11-12 students each. Each student is allocated 10 minutes for presentation and another 5-8 minutes for comments and suggestions from supervisors and lecturers. However, during the first session, held on Tuesday 25 November, 2014 at C05, only five students managed to present.
It was noticed that the mistakes and technical errors especially of the students were recurrent so ISDEV lecturers unanimously agreed to correct the weaknesses on the spot with the hope that the students in the next session would not repeat the same flaws again.
|Dr Zakaria (left) in full concentration with the rest of MISDEV'14 students|
The five MISDEV'14 students who managed to present in the first session, nonetheless exhibited the depth and originality of their research. The filling of the literature gap and the potential to contribute to knowledge was very apparent. The first five blessed presenters with the respective Research Proposal titles were:
1) Ade Yunita Mafruhat on Perlaksanaan Ekonomi Politik Islam di Koperasi Pondok Pesantren Daarut Tauhid, Bandung, Indonesia (Implementation of Islamic Political Economy in Koperasi Pondok Pesantren Daarut Tauhid, Bandung, Indonesia);
2) Afnan Hamimi Taib Azamudden on Tahaluf Siyasi Dalam Politik Dakwah: Kajian Kes Parti Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) di Pulau Pinang (Tahaluf Siyasi in Da'wah Politics: Case Study of Parti Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) in Pulau Pinang).
3) Ahmad Nazrul Alif Yahya on Pembangunan Lestari USM: Analisis Berdasarkan Pembangunan Berteraskan Islam (USM Sustainable Development - Analysis based on Islamic-based Development).
4) Amirah Abdullah – Analisis Kritikal Terhadap Dogma Dalam Penyelidikan (Critical Analysis of Dogma in Research.
5) Athirah Abu Bakar – Kriteria Indikator Ranking Universiti Dunia: Analisis Berdasarkan Prinsip Pembangunan Berteraskan Islam (World University Ranking Criteria Indicators: Analysis based on Islamic-based Development Principles).
|Atirah (right) presenting her proposal while ISDEV Director, Prof. Syukri (left) looks on.|
Although these five students arrived at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) in the late evening of Sunday from the Ban Nua 5.0 Programme, they were all amazingly calm and exude an air of humble confidence while successfully delivering their proposals. Lecturers were also very generous by sharing tips, comments and suggestions to ensure that excellent dissertations are within reach of all MISDEV’14 students. Jazakumullah khairan kathiran to all ISDEV lecturers.
The remaining sessions will continue after the 8th ISDEV International Islamic Development Management Conference (IDMAC2014) scheduled on 9 - 10 December 2014 at the University Conference Hall (DPU), USM.